Varieties of hosting services
A hosting solution involves keeping and/or sharing given web content on a server run by a web hosting provider. There are different groups of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's examine them. In this way, you can conclude what you want, based on whether you desire to have a web portal, mail accounts, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution provided by certain providers, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a certain period of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly distorted interpretation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would divide the tasks at hand between autonomous bunches of servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given firms provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is appropriate if you want to share a great amount of images with buddies or partners since the service is mostly free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to handling your e-mail aliases. Some providers offer site hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you wish to set up an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a few videos and a few hundred site visitors, you may have a problem with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to have as many video files as you want without bothering about system reserves.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to possess a website. To a certain extent, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and email aliases, upload video files, etc. At Webmilia, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that permit you to have all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular content solely.